Accidents are a fact of life but it is a mistake to fall victim of fender bender fraud if you are in an accident. At some times, it is easy to give the other driver the benefit of the doubt, especially if it seems as though it actually was an accident. However, if you do not take the right precautions, you may become the victim of something much bigger and end up paying more out of pocket in the long run. Follow these rules when you are involved in a fender bender so you can protect yourself on the roads.
- Take note of the accident and how it happened. Take pictures of everything you can think of while you are there. This includes both of the vehicles, the damage, the license plates, their driver’s license, and even the area of the road where it occurred.
- Always contact the police so you can get a police report. The police office that comes to the scene of the accident will serve as an impartial observer in the case that the other driver tries to change their story or pin the accident on you.
- Always be truthful from the beginning. If the case does go to court, then by staying truthful, you are more likely to not become a victim of fender bender fraud.
- Make sure you get their insurance information and make the claim as soon as possible after the accident. Share their information with your insurance agency so you can get everything handled as soon as possible.
- If there are injuries from the accident, encourage everyone to go to the emergency room for evaluation.
Following these steps will help you to better protect yourself on the roads in the case of an accident and contact Southwest Insurance Center for all of your insurance needs.